This creamy carrot soup is vegan, gluten free, and paleo friendly. Packed with sweetness from the carrots and a deep umami from the caramelized onions, this soup is the perfect thing to perk up a cold grey day. Jump to the recipe.
It wouldn’t be exactly true to say that I woke up to rain. Still, a heavy blanket of fog swaddled our little yellow house on the hill, and the ground was wet enough that I can imagine it may have rained overnight.
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoonsolive oil
- 2.5 lbs carrots peeled and sliced into coins
- 1 large yukon gold potato peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup celery sliced
- 16 oz carton vegetable stock- homemade or low sodium variety
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley leaves, loosely packed
- Lemon thyme, leaves removed from stem
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Piment d’espelette
- Cook onions and olive oil over low heat until well-caramelized and a dark golden brown, stirring infrequently (about 50-60 minutes)
- Add carrots, potato, and celery and cook for another 10 minutes, tossing well to coat with olive oil and onions.
- Add vegetable stock, turn heat to medium high, and bring to a rapid boil. Cook until vegetables are very tender almost falling apart- about 20 minutes.
- Blend with an immersion blender until completely smooth, thinning with just a little bit of stock, water, or milk of your choice if you’d like a thinner soup
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with herb oil and a sprinkling of piment d’espelette if using
You can find complete recipes of this VEGAN CARROT SOUP WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS in thetomatotart.com