Get ready for another delicious recipe starring the incredibly delicious humble chickpeas. These Turmeric Chickpea Cakes are super yummy and very easy and quick to make. And they are naturally gluten-free and vegan too! Enjoy!
This is a recipe inspired by my very popular Quinoa & Chickpea Burgers – except that I didn’t have any quinoa and it was a busy evening that I didn’t want to wait for it to cook. (I usually use leftover quinoa for that recipe) so this recipe was pretty much impossible as it. However, that inspired my new version!
Turmeric is a big influencer here because it’s a superfood I am trying to eat more of. I like to sprinkle here and there so that my family doesn’t get suspicious that I’m feeding them food that’s ‘too healthy’ 🙂 This is subtle enough that it works! You see, I have an 8 year old who’s quick to figure things out and she likes to go against the grain on me sometimes – not all the time – but she pushes my buttons sometimes when I push a smoothie with spinach in it, you know, things like that. Gah! Kids! 🙂
Anyway, this worked – my husband, the kiddo, the baby all love them! And I hope you will love these soon too!
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 can rinsed and drained chickpeas (or 1 1/2 cups pre-cooked)
- small bunch of fresh parsley, roughly chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1-2 teaspoons of sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour + extra 3 tablespoons for coating
- grape seed oil for cooking
- Garlicky Avocado Cream to serve (recipe will be shared separately soon) (for now you can try this recipe for
- Avocado Lime Cream and omit the lime and add 1/2 minced garlic clove instead)
- In a large cast iron pan, drizzle in a little grape seed oil and fry the onion and garlic until slightly golden but not burned. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a food processor, process the chickpeas until they turn to a slightly textured paste, be sure to turn off the food processor and scrape down the sides to get all the chickpeas ground up. Add in onion and garlic, salt, pepper, turmeric and cayenne pepper and mix to fully combine. Turn the food processor off and stir in the chopped parsley.
You can find complete recipes of this TURMERIC CHICKPEA CAKES/ BURGERS in pureella.com