Shrimp and veggie loaded enchiladas topped with a simple homemade creamy poblano sauce and freshly grated cheese. These shrimp enchiladas are hearty and filling and easy enough to pull together on a weeknight!
First — Shrimp Enchiladas! 🍤🍤🍤 Yuh-Huh. All day. Everyday.
Survived the weekend y’all.⚡️☔️ Didn’t even need a boat. 💯💯💯 Ironically enough, I decide to make us seafood enchiladas right after the intense flooding in Houston last week. Shrimp, veggies, cheese, poblanos, and a cream sauce! How could you not love that? The end. Please scroll to the bottom, grab the recipe, and be on your merry way to enchilada bliss, like right now.
I mean, shrimp enchiladas or seafood enchiladas are probably my #1 favorite item to order at a Mexican restaurant. It just doesn’t happen very often because um.. calories! There’s just something so warm and comforting about a hot plate loaded with rice, beans, and enchiladas stuffed with seafood, be it fish or shrimp, and smothered in a way-too-rich cream sauce only to be covered in melty, gooey cheese. But of course, I can NEVER finish it on my own and boy do I feel guilty when i’m done — because you know that I loaded up on chips and guac and restaurant style salsa and was already close to be being full when my enchiladas hit the table.
But this recipe for shrimp enchiladas! Nailed it! 🎯🎯 Instead of filling my enchiladas with tons of seafood and mountains of cheese, a quick swap for some protein rich baby spinach and crunchy matchstick carrots makes these a much healthier choice. I use poblanos to flavor the sauce and the enchilada stuffing to make these rich in flavor without a lot of heat. So you know everyone at home can enjoy them.
CREAMY POBLANO SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 large poblano, minced (reserve 2 tablespoons)
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups monterey or pepper jack cheese (divided)*
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup white onions, diced
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups shredded (matchstick) carrots
- 3 cups packed fresh baby spinach
- a couple dashes of hot sauce*
- 12 flour or whole wheat tortillas
- [b]CREAMY POBLANO SAUCE:[/b] Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and allow it to cook for 1-2 minutes or until it just begins to brown. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and cook. You want to whisk continuously so you don’t have any lumps, about 2-3 minutes. When the sauce begins to thicken just a bit, add in the sour cream, whisking if necessary. Next, add garlic powder and the poblano (except the reserved 2 tablespoons). Simmer and allow the sauce to thicken for another 2-3 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste and stir in 1 cup of cheese, When the cheese melts, remove from stove and stir in 2 tablespoons of cilantro. Set aside.
You can find complete recipes of this SHRIMP ENCHILADAS WITH CREAMY POBLANO SAUCE in littlespicejar.com