A homemade pizza sauce recipe that’s sure to make your homemade pizzas taste so much better! This sauce is quick and easy to make, it freezes well, and has no mystery ingredients! Don’t you love knowing exactly what goes in your food?
Say hello to nice, thick and chunky homemade pizza sauce. I so wish you could smell this through your screen, it’s that good.
I think it’s safe to say that not all pizza sauces are created equal. And I can definitely tell you that i’m picky when it comes to sauce. Are you? I for one, cannot stand a super sweet tomato sauce. If it tastes like just a bunch of sugar, i’m not eating it. <– That’s a fib, i’m eating it, I just won’t be happy about it.
Making homemade pizza sauce isn’t difficult, and it doesn’t have to be time consuming. I know they say you’re suppose to slow simmer this sauce for days (or hours) and stuff, but really, it’s just not possible for everyone to do.
My tomato sauce takes 10 minutes of prep work and about 35 minutes of cooking time. I like to make a double batch and freeze half for later use. One batch makes enough to cover 2 pizzas with sauce generously. The sauce can be frozen for up to 3 months so on a busy weeknight you can have homemade pizza in under 30 minutes with homemade pizza sauce that’s full of real, authentic ingredients and none of that ‘mystery’ stuff.
So let’s jump right into this tomato sauce, i’ll explain stuff along the way too.
- 1 (28 ounce) can San Marzano tomatoes (or the best quality you can find)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated onions (or finely diced for chunkier texture)
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on heat preference)
- 3 cloves garlic (grated or minced)
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- If your tomatoes are packed whole, pour them into a large bowl and using your hands break down the tomatoes so that they’re chunky but not completely liquidy. This can also be done with an immersion stick blender by just pulsing it a few times. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil, grated onions, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes. Allow the oil to cook the ingredients for 3-4 minutes, stirring as necessary. Add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
You can find complete recipes of this HOMEMADE PIZZA SAUCE in littlespicejar.com