Is there a better appetizer out there than a bowl of fresh guacamole with a side of chips (because if there is I want to know about it :)? And Is there anyone who doesn’t love guacamole and want to devour the entire bowl themselves right upon making it? Everyone in the world should know how to make a good batch of it. I love guac and love that it’s healthy and always a crowd pleaser. If you don’t know what appetizer/side to make for a party, make guacamole and bring some tortilla chips, even if it has no relation to the rest of the menu :).
Guacamole is really versatile. Everyone has their favorite way of making it. Below is one of my favorites. Sometimes when I’m in a hurry I will use powders, as in onion powder and garlic powder in place of the fresh. I also don’t always use the tomato and cilantro but love the light added flavor it gives. The most important thing about guacamole – just be sure to use perfectly ripe, good avocados (not hard and not squishy – just slightly soft). I don’t like to add a lot of the other ingredients because I love the flavor of avocados so it really doesn’t need much else. That’s one reason that I rinse the onion before adding it to the mixture, to tone it down so it doesn’t overpower the delicious flavor of the avocados. I like a hint of onion, as well as all the other add ins, and a lot of avocado. Enjoy!
- 4 ripe Hass Avocados, seeded, diced and scooped from peel (about 26 oz before peeled and cored)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 large Roma tomato, seeds and pulp removed then diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 – 3 pinches cayenne pepper, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Partially mash avocados with a fork on a cutting board or in a large bowl, pour lime juice over top and continue to mash to reach desired consistency. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Run chopped red onions under cold water (to remove harsh bite from onion), drain well and add onions to avocado mixture, along with diced tomato, garlic, cilantro, cayenne pepper and season with salt and pepper to taste, stir to combine. Serve with tortilla chips or alongside Mexican entrees.
You can find complete recipes of this Guacamole in cookingclassy.com